Saturday, April 4, 2009

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Are You Going?

I recall visiting the Scarborough Renaissance Festival when I was in high school with friends. At the time, I enjoyed it. I was surprised to see a teacher at my high school dressed in his time appropriate garb on staff at the event. I still laugh at the thought. He instructed me not to call him by his real name but instead to refer to him in a rather spectacular sir-name that I don't recall. It was a bit of a learning experience witnessing the event. High school history does not prepare you sufficiently for being thrown into a small city of theater buffs who act as if the modern day is the 1600's.

Being older, more mature and of course wiser, I realize the importance of just getting away from life on occasion. Thinking along those lines leads me to believe that you might just enjoy visiting the faire. While I am in no way comfortable dressing for any time period but the present, you do see people there that are not staff, that truly go all out taking their experience to a level I fear I will never know. And it is interesting to say the least.

There are some neat crafts and shows at this event that your family might possibly enjoy. You can see soap making, blacksmiths firing tools, glassblowing, leather working, jewelery creations and many other crafts designed along with the joust and dramas. There is quite a variety of events to view. And while viewing, don't forget the food. They have some dishes that are really good. I recall eating my first and only 'Steak on a Stake' like it were yesterday.

The Scarborough Renaissance Festival runs April 4th - May 25th and is located thirty minutes south of the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex in Waxahachie. So, if you are interested in taking the family out and seeing some unusual sights, don't hesitate to consider the Scarborough Renaissance Festival. It has been around for nearly thirty years. And that can only leave room for this question, "Are you going to Scarborough Faire?" For more information click here to visit their website.

1 comment: