Saturday, February 28, 2009

Relationships “Bloom” At the Garden Show

Texas home and garden shows have been a part of Texas tradition for 30 years. This weekend, at the Arlington Convention Center was the All Texas Garden Show with Neil Sperry. Neil has been a pillar of the gardening community for as long as I can remember, and also a part of my and my family’s life!

Growing up, my dad, Bill, worked for KRLD radio, in fact, that’s how he and my mom met! Eventually, my dad, while at KRLD, worked exclusively for Neil Sperry’s weekly radio show and, therefore, my life was also intertwined in the Sperry family. The Sperry’s have a daughter, Erin, who is my age, so we spent a lot of time together and became very close while growing up. We used to run around the garden shows together, seeing how many goodies we could get from the vendors during the weekend. There were usually two shows a year in the Metroplex, and I also remember traveling out of town for shows too. It was a very memorable part of my childhood, and as I became older, I worked at the shows, instead of just mooching candy and free pencils from the vendors. Erin and my friendship didn’t remain as close as we got older, however our lives have paralleled in many ways, therefore we have kept a very tight bond with each other, and are always able to pick up where we left off when we do get to see each other. Today was no different! It was like no time had passed when we saw each other this afternoon, and our deep connection was still there!

The shows exhibits this year included waterfall and pond landscapes, water garden displays, flower and plant features, stone products, plants and paving systems, outdoor living, "green" gardening, All Texas Garden Store, a children's activity center, over 30 how-to demonstrations, seminars and lectures including someone I am glad to call a friend and mentor, Neil Sperry, Horticulturist extraordinaire! My kids, ages nine, four and two, seemed to have a good time. They too, like me as a child, wanted to see what fun things they could get at each booth. My two-year-old son was in awe of all the water gardens and pond landscapes. He tried to touch each one, and he did get wet! My four-year-old daughter sought out the free food and candy while my nine-year-old daughter wanted the more practical give-a-ways like the pencils and pens! It was fun watching them enjoy themselves, and it was special to me to get to share this with them, something that has been a part of my life since young childhood.

Most of the people at the show are there for one of two reasons, to work or to find something to help beautify their home landscape. I go for another reason, reconnection. My mother worked the show yesterday, my dad and sister worked today. I was able to visit with my dad and sister for a little while they worked at one of Neil’s booths giving out his Gardens and More magazine and selling fertilizer. I also got to see Lynn, Neil’s beautiful and caring wife, whom I haven’t seen since my wedding nine years ago, so she got to meet my two youngest children for the first time. But most importantly, I was able to rekindle the friendship with my longtime friend, someone I may even dare to call a second sister to me, Erin. It was a very sweet time for me, and I can’t wait for the next show…. the next reconnection!

For more information about Neil Sperry and the Texas Home and Garden Show, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment