Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"Summon that enduring spirit of an America that does not quit."


“Though we are living through difficult and uncertain times, tonight I want every American to know this: We will rebuild, we will recover and the United States of America will emerge stronger than before,” is what President Obama declared in his first speech to Congress last night. Obama’s address of change and reform he delivered to the American people is already being hailed as surpassing the ambitions and vision of our 40th commander in chief, President Ronald Reagan.

President Obama is an eloquent and talented orator. As he speaks he comes across as having the voice of the American people. He captures the heartbeat of the crowd. The main focus was on the current economic crisis that Americans are facing. He suggested change. He suggested more stringent accountability for the financial giants guilty of worsening our fragile financial market. And he discussed issues of education and health care that the majority of Americans relate to and desire assistance with.

I can’t help but feel far removed at times from the inner workings of our government and it’s processes. Last night, I witnessed a sea of silver headed government officials dressed in expensive suites, who do not hurt for any monetary or physical assistance, tell us how vital change is. Realistically I wonder how they can grasp the severity of situations at hand objectively. And while I agree that yes, people need help during these trying times if they are diligently trying to better themselves and are just swallowed up by financial hopelessness, I am eager to see what actually happens that allows Americans to exhale a bit.

When an American meets someone they generally ask the other person what it is they do or what their profession is. That information is all that is needed to properly assess an individual. It shows what their suggested income is, what level of education they have more than likely received, and what type of car they can afford. It’s the magic opening line when meeting new people. America has been and is a leader in the global productivity race. We are one of the wealthiest nations in the world. Though the income is not distributed among the majority of Americans. Why is it then that we are defined by that question and our subsequent answer?

While I consider myself fortunate to do what I love and what I feel called to do, I’d much rather be asked about playing my saxophones, or riding my motorcycle with my wife, or watching a family movie with my children. I’d like to think, as much of the world does, that we are here to build relationships and to enjoy this life journey together. And our legacy is our character, perseverance, and our treatment of others. Not our bank statements.

I am excited to see what benefits might possibly come from our new government administration. But I do remember President Reagan’s words, “Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."

No comments:

Post a Comment