Monday, March 23, 2009

And So It Begins

I am venturing where few brave men have ever dared tread. I am doing something I have never done before - something so terrifying I am not sure if I will even survive the ordeal. I am coaching my sons' T-ball team this season.

I tried to stay out of it. Really. I had no desire to subject myself to the kind of punishment that only T-ball coaches have to endure - scheduling practices, figuring out who's bringing Capri Suns next week - you know the routine. I assumed that I would again get an opportunity to coach one day but really thought it might be when my sons were a bit older. But, the league needed another coach and since one-sixth of the team was my flesh and blood, I answered the call. I am the Dwight Eisenhower of Van, Texas T-ball. The position of coach sought me, I did not seek the position.

Since being involved with this, I have been reminded of a few things I may have subconsciously forgotten since I left the academic coaching ranks. I have been reminded why so many kids are burnt out on their sports by the time they get to highschool. Youth sports have become more of a hobby for adults and parents than a means of teaching kids about team concepts and work ethics. At the lowest of levels, we emphasize winning too much.

As a high school baseball coach, I loved to win. Winning is important at those levels. It teaches athletes a lesson on the fruits of labor. But as I listen to rec-league coaches and officials discuss ways to make T-ball more competitive, I am greatly discouraged because I know that this blind infatuation with the game of baseball or the vicarious living out of youthful dreams will only lead to resentment of the sport later on during adolescence. The job of T-ball coaches is to let kids enjoy the sport and teach the fundamentals of the game. It is even appropriate to introduce some baseball etiquette and lingo.

Perhaps I am too old fashioned and the game has already passed me by. Maybe a good T-ball coach should try to win at all cost. Nothing is like it used to be and that's a hard pill to swallow sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Bubba,

    Having been extensively involved in little league games as a sports photographer, I can atest to the FACT that today kids are PRESSURED. I was completely enthralled watching coaches and more often parents wearing their own youthful dreams on the sleeves of their little ones.

    I can't tell you how many times I had to bite my tongue on the sidelines while a 6 year old had a red-faced, harry-fat-fisted coach in his face, with spit flying because the kid let a grounder roll between his feet or swung too early.

    Or hearing parents in the stands mouthing off about the other team's players...parents trying to be umps...arguing with eachother about who was safe and who was out...kids sitting on the bench embarassed, crying, hot and tired cause they played 3 games in a row...and they just want to have FUN and play BASEBALL.

    With that being said, I am glad YOU are coaching my nephews. No one better to do it. Hopefully they have a game when I come to visit!

    ReplyDelete