Monday, March 9, 2009

The Welcome Wagon

The other day I was sitting in the studio when the little red light on my blackberry started to blink. After watching it buzz and vibrate across the desk I checked it to see what was up. It was a message from my wife. She said she just got a new record in the mail, that had the coolest cover. She would not even attempt to describe it. She said "you just have to see it". When I got home and she showed it to me I couldn't wait to hear it. I knew that if the same creativity and craftsmanship went into the music that this would be an excellent record.

A Welcome Sound
The Welcome Wagon is a project by Presbyterian pastor the Rev. Vito Aiuto and his wife Monique. It is not just a great looking album, it also sounds great. The beautiful, traditional, Christian, folk lyrics mixed with The WW's original sound makes you think of old time, Sunday morning service. Except you could only wish your church was this cool. A lot of instruments and voices were used on this record, that, along with, a masterful production from singer/ songwriter Sufjan Stevens, gives us and album with something for everyone. The track "Sold! to the nice rich man" has a big pop, country sound that would be right at home on an eight track, CB radio, combo player. There are also a few surprise covers on this album; The Smiths' "Half a Person" and The Velvet Underground's "Jesus".

Get on the Wagon
This is one of those albums that does not quit from the first track to the last. I would highly recommend this album on vinyl. Don't worry, it comes with digital downloads. Or you can buy the "not as cool" version on iTunes™.

No comments:

Post a Comment