Friday, March 27, 2009

Mothers of Preschoolers

There are other worlds out there that I am unfamiliar with. I recently discovered there is a world of competitive frog jumping at the Calaveras County Fair. People go through great lengths to prepare themselves for this event. They have to catch their frogs, care for them, train them, and transport them all the way to the fair. Although I am now fascinated with this world, I previously did not know it even existed. I have every intention of making it out to that fair at some point in my life. Sometimes you just don't know what is out there until you experience it for yourself.

Motherhood is the same way. Some days we try desperately to catch, care for, instruct, and transport our children. There truly is no way to really prepare for the world of motherhood. Complete submersion, sink or swim is the only way to really understand all that is involved in helping our little ones grow.

You can plan and read until your eyes cross, but nothing can really prepare you for the moment you finally get to bring that little bundle home. You understand that they are completely dependent on you for every single need. It can be quite overwhelming and even intimidating. Am I going to scar this child for life if I choose to bottle feed? Will my child resent me forever if they don't get enough tummy time? Will my son be the only one still wearing pull-ups at high school graduation?

Motherhood can be a daunting task. It can be filled with the highest highs and the lowest of the lows. Such a big undertaking is not meant to be done alone. Moms need to know there are resources out there to help equip and encourage them where they are. Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) is an international program designed to do this. It is designed to provide a support system for moms still in the throws of sleepless nights and temper tantrums. I remember the overwhelming relief I felt at my first MOPs meeting. I discovered I was not the only mom that had pajama and PBS kids days! There were other moms out there, just like me, trying to do the best job that they could do with their children.

MOPS has changed my life. It helps me to be the best mom that I can be. It offers insight, a break, encouragement and some much needed perspective. I sincerely hope that moms of little ones know that there is a system in place designed specifically to help them with where they are in life. Check out their website www.mops.org to find a group near you-because mothering matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment