Saturday, March 21, 2009

The First ‘Fore’

How many firsts actually drive that desire to once again capture the initial feelings located with a first act. You may immediately begin thinking about your first kiss from that special someone. You might recall the excitement of your first day at a new job and how in your first hour you already saw yourself making a huge difference with the company and becoming CEO by the end of the week. That unforgettable first car that you got when you turned sixteen also comes to mind. The first solo drive when you got your license. So many firsts come to mind. What about with golf?

I think about my personal love for the game. I remember diligently working during high school and saving money to purchase my first set of clubs, Wilson Arrows. I spent hours at the driving range developing that perfect swing. Hours spent on the practice greens learning to navigate the variables of trimmed grasses. And more importantly I recall hearing the distinct sound of the ball dropping in the cup at the bottom of the hole nineteen feet away.

As I began to actually play, my first par and birdie were celebratory milestones. And that of course started with my first double and triple bogies that progressed on to a bogey after much practice. I remember playing golf often with my friends and family. My brother and sister were both on the golf teams in high school. During golf seasons we could be found together after school and work on the local courses playing a round or at driving ranges hitting balls. I remember the first time that I creamed a ball with my driver and flew twenty yards past my father, the seasoned golf veteran of the family. I still enjoy trips to the local Byron Nelson Classic. In 1997, when Tiger Woods was proving himself as an unstoppable golf force, I had tickets. I awaited golf greats to pass by my friend Jeff and I who sat in a perfectly shaded spot by the green of hole seventeen through out the day Championship Sunday. So many wonderful and special occasions still bring smiles to my face even after many years when recalling golf firsts.

One of my favorite memories is when one of my closest friends Shane decided to play golf for the first time. As we approached the first hole on a busy summer afternoon Shane was asking for pointers. Knowing full well that golf is arduously learned through the practical application of theories and countless hours of practice I told him to simply tee up the ball, swing the club, and hit it as far and straight as he possibly could. I teed off first so Shane could watch and mimic my moves. Selecting my driver, I knocked my ball 300 or so yards straight down the fairway, which wasn’t too bad with a breeze in our faces. All in all, a good shot. Then Shane teed up his ball.

There were two groups of amateur, self-proclaimed golf pros in foursomes behind us waiting their turns to tee-off. They quickly began critiquing Shane’s every movement as they could sense him struggling at the onset with his stance. I was standing even with Shane’s ball facing him to give what little direction I could. Shane stepped forward and backwards a few times. He adjusted his grip on the club. Then stood with his legs a bit too far apart and corrected the awkwardness as best he could. With all of his might, he brought back the driver and swung for the fences.

In a split second as Shane struck the ball and yelled “Fore” there was a thunderous CRASH that sent bystanders ducking for cover. The crowd of momentarily frightened men that flinched at the sound of the deafening BANG, then began to laugh uncontrollably. Directly to the left of the green twenty yards away, was a tool shed and dumpster. To this day I am still not quite sure how the ball took an exact ninety-degree trajectory course and ricocheted repeatedly between the two. Immediately a startled employee flew out of the tool shed nearly falling down as he ran asking what had happened. The small crowd then erupted with a violent laughter as the employee slowed and stood looking around with a puzzled look on his face.

The day was a blast filled with lots of laughter and a small amount of first time frustration. I always enjoy a great game of golf. Especially with good friends. And that is a shared first that I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. I can picture it so well with those descriptive words. I hope Shane is a better golfer now!

    ReplyDelete